Don’t miss the Science Under the Stars lecture series on Thursday evenings once a month this Fall 2012:
- September 13 – Stavana Strutz, West Nile Virus
- October 11 – Patrick Stinson, Frog Calls and Response to Noise
- November 8 – Chintan Modi, Vaccine Development and Fluorescence
- December 13 – Michael Gully-Santiago, Astronomy
Science Under the Stars lectures are held at the Brackenridge Field Laboratory at 7:30 p.m. They serve great refreshments and have fun activities for kids.
West Nile Virus
This Thursday’s lecture on West Nile Virus is very timely. Travis County and all of Texas has been hit hard by this virus carried by mosquitoes.
Ms. Stavana Strutz will talk about why this year has been so terrible with hundreds of infections across the state. In addition to West Nile virus, she will also talk about Chagas disease, another illness transmitted by insect carriers.
Here are some ways to combat mosquitoes and the virus:
- Drain standing water.
- Put fish that eat mosquitoes in your ponds.
- Wear insect repellent.
- Wear long sleeves and pants.
- Avoid going outside at dusk or dawn when mosquitoes are active.
Brackenridge Field Laboratory
Science Under the Stars is held at the Brackenridge Field Lab, where they also hold the fun Insecta Fiesta in the Spring.
In the Austin American Statesman, I saw that Mr. John Crutchfield retired as resident manager of the Brackenridge Field Lab. I only met Mr. Crutchfield a few times but each time he was very kind and I knew he had a love of nature. I hope that I will see him again.
I had a great time over the summer at the lab volunteering for Ms. Laura Dugan’s graduate research on the Jeweled Cichlid, an invasive species invading the waterways of Northern Mexico. Learn more about this invasive fish:
- Research Brings Invasive Jewel Cichlid to the End of the Line at the Brackenridge Field Lab
- Invasive Jewel Cichlid Shatters Native Ecosystems
Science Under the Stars will always be special to me, because I won my first video contest with them for my first video, “Who will fell this titan?”, in May 2011.