Happy Independence Day from me and my dog, Obi-wan!
I’m looking forward to meeting kids, families, and everyone who loves nature at the Invasive Hunter Academy tomorrow during Nature Nights at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. This free event on Thursday, July 5, at 6:00 p.m. focuses on the “Power of Plants”.
I can’t wait to teach kids of all ages about invasive species, the problems that they cause, and what you can do about them. Learn cool combat moves and create an action diorama to take home with you.
Check out the other fun activities during the evening too:
- Take a special behind the scenes tour of the seed lab herbarium and nursery
- Learn about edible native plants and make rope and tools using plants
- Hear about traditional uses of local native plants from Mark Blumenthal, Founder and Executive Director of the American Botanical Council
- Hike the Wildflower Center gardens with experts, including Ellen Zimmerman with the Austin School of Herbal Studies, botanist Flo Oxley, and Native Plant Society of Texas members, who will teach you about how native plants can be used as medicines
- Go on a garden scavenger hunt and make seed balls with Master Naturalists
- Create a paper version of the Venus flytrap using recycled materials with the Teenage Ecowarriors
So be sure to come to Nature Nights and join the elite ranks of the Invasive Hunters! I can’t wait to see you tomorrow!