At the next Nature Nights at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center on June 28, learn more about hummingbirds, especially two that nest here in Central Texas:
- Black-chinned Hummingbird
- Ruby-throated Hummingbird
As part of the free evening’s activities, you can:
- Participate in interactive hummingbird storytelling from the Austin Public Library
- Talk with Jeanette Larson, who will be signing her book, “Hummingbirds: Facts and Folklore from the Americas”
- Listen to Shelia Hargis’ presentation on Austin’s Amazing Hummingbirds
- Walk the gardens to learn about hummingbirds and the nectar plants they love with experts from Travis Audubon
- Have fun with hummingbird scavenger hunts and arts and crafts
Invasive Hunter Academy charges up the Power of Plants next week
On July 5, I’m bringing my Invasive Hunter Academy to Nature Nights. This the same academy that was a big hit during Kids’ Day at the U.S. Botanic Garden during National Invasive Species Awareness Week (NISAW) in Washington D.C.
Learn about invasive species, practice your Invasive Hunter moves, and create a fun action diorama with you battling an invasive plant. Bring home your action scene, a Plant Hero pin, and other goodies too!
Learn more about the Invasive Hunter Academy:
- Invasive Hunter Academy launches during National Invasive Species Awareness Week
- Commander Ben Leads Young Invasive Hunters during National Invasive Species Awareness Week
- USDA Celebrates Commander Ben and His Invasive Hunter Academy
I look forward to seeing you at Nature Nights!